Occupational Therapy Evaluation
Sometimes during the DMV medical evaluation process the client’s family member, physician, or DMV medical review personnel will request that the client have an Occupational Therapist provide a professional behind the wheel driver evaluation to assess medical fitness and functional status for driving. The clinical and behind the wheel tests provided during an evaluation may aid the client’s physician in completing medical paperwork.
For individuals involved in the DMV Medical Evaluation program, we provide a comprehensive assessment of an individual’s abilities to continue to drive following a significant injury or disabling condition or potential to become a safe and independent driver with a disability.
A Driver Evaluation with our Occupational Therapist includes:
- Screening of a client’s medical history, driving history, license status
- Clinical evaluations of physical, visual, perceptual, cognitive and behavioral skills
- Appraisal of driver seating needs and vehicle entry and exit needs
- Determination of needs related to transporting mobility aids such as walkers, crutches, wheelchairs or scooters
- On the road assessment in appropriate driving environments (with or without adaptive equipment as needed)
Who provides the driver evaluation?
Driver Evaluations are provided by Cyndee Crompton, a licensed Occupational Therapist (OTR/L), Certified Driver Rehabilitation Specialist (CDRS), and NC Certified Driving Instructor (CDI). Cyndee also holds a Specialty Certification in Driving and Community Mobility (SCDCM) from the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) and she has a Certification in Low Vision Rehabilitation from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Cyndee has 20 years of experience in the field of driver rehabilitation.
Evaluation results and recommendations are faxed to DMV Medical and to any physician the client has chosen to complete their medical paperwork.