What is a Vehicle Fitting?
Vehicle fittings are an integral part of the vehicle modification process and are rendered to aid in the proper fit and placement of all controls relative to the client’s driving position and abilities. Fittings assure the best interface between the driver, the vehicle, any assistive mobility devices utilized, and the driving controls.
- Vehicle Fittings are provided for individuals who have successfully completed a driver evaluation, participated in driver training sessions to become proficient in the use of prescribed adaptive equipment and are having their personal vehicle modified with adaptive controls.
- Fittings occur once a client’s vehicle is at a modification vendor’s shop for installation of prescribed adaptive equipment. Fittings occur at the modification vendor’s shop location.
- DRS staff communicates directly with the vehicle modifier to aid in coordinating fitting dates agreeable to all parties.
Why are Vehicle Fittings important?
- Vehicle Fittings ensure that the adaptive equipment being installed in the client’s vehicle is accurate to what was prescribed by the Occupational Therapist/Certified Driver Rehabilitation Specialist.
- Fittings are recommended by the National Association of Driver Rehabilitation Specialists as Best Practice Guidelines for providing services related to driver rehabilitation.
- Fittings include behind the wheel driving time with the client to assure safe and successful use of all installed equipment before the vehicle is released to the client.
What types of issues are addressed during fittings?
- Positioning and placement of primary adaptive driving controls for gas/brake/steering relative to the client’s specific needs and abilities
- Reach to, modification of and positioning for secondary controls including, blinkers, wipers, gear shift, parking brake, Air/Heating
- Determining need for extensions for window and mirror adjustments
- Accessibility or modification needs for seat belt securement
- Placement of lock down system for wheelchair securement
- Access of and modifications needed for ignition engagement
- Understanding and practicing use of wheelchair stowage devices or vehicle entry/exit devices